Elizabeth City, NC – The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco, available at Performance Chevrolet, is the first and only all-new 2013 midsize car available to Elizabeth City drivers to receive double honors for safety including a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and a 2012 Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Both are the highest ratings possible.
The IIHS tests vehicles to determine how well they protect occupants in front and side crash tests, in rollovers via a roof strength test, and simulated rear impacts to evaluate seat and head restraints for protection against neck injuries. The Malibu Eco achieved a “good” score in all four types of tests performed and has standard electronic stability control, which the IIHS requires for Top Safety Pick designation.
In achieving the 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score, the Malibu Eco was tested under NHTSA’s revised New Car Assessment Program. The overall score is based on frontal and side crash tests in addition to evaluation for rollover resistance. Under the rating system, performances in three test segments are combined mathematically into an “Overall Vehicle Score.”
“With the Malibu Eco, Chevrolet has earned seven 2012 TOP SAFETY PICK awards,” said IIHS President Adrian Lund. “The IIHS and NHTSA results demonstrate GM’s commitment to state-of-the-art crash protection.”
Under this methodology, the Chevy Malibu Eco achieved an Overall Vehicle Score of five stars – the highest rating possible – even though some individual ratings, such as rollover, resulted in four stars.
The all-new 2013 Malibu will be sold in nearly 100 markets on six continents. It was designed and engineered to achieve top safety ratings and to meet pedestrian protection standards where such requirements exist. Last November, General Motors announced that the Malibu also earned a top five-star rating by the European New Car Assessment Program, known as Euro NCAP.
GM designs its new products to perform well in the metrics IIHS and NHTSA use to communicate crash worthiness to customers. There are 11 GM 2012 models with a 5-Star Overall Vehicle NCAP score and the Malibu Eco is among the first 2013 GM models to receive this rating. There are now 15 GM vehicles that have an IIHS 2012 Top Safety Pick designation.
“Our customers are interested in the Malibu Eco not only for its fuel economy, but also for its safety features,” said Jimmie Ritter of Performance Chevrolet. “This designation by NHTSA and IIHS confirms that the Malibu Eco delivers top safety performance.”
The all-new Malibu is designed and engineered to help Elizabeth City drivers avoid crashes, while protecting occupants if a crash occurs. Standard safety features include:
- A body structure made up of 65 percent high strength and ultra-high strength steels
- Driver and front passenger dual-stage frontal air bags, seat-mounted side air bags and knee air bags and head curtain side air bags with rollover protection that cover front and outboard rear-seating rows
- Rollover sensors which can activate the head curtain side air bags if sensors determine an imminent rollover. In a rollover, the air bags stay inflated longer to provide increased occupant protection
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control helps the driver maintain control by comparing the path being steered by the driver with the actual response and, when necessary, applying the brakes or adjusting the throttle or a combination of both
- Four-channel disc brakes with ABS, full-function traction control and panic brake assist that activates when an emergency braking maneuver is detected. The system automatically develops additional brake pressure to more quickly engage ABS
- Front safety belt pretensioners to reduce forward movement and load-limiting retractors to help manage forces during a collision
- OnStar, which features the Automatic Crash Response System that uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in a crash that deploys the air bags.
The Malibu Eco is the sixth Chevy model within the 2012 model year to achieve a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score for safety. The others include the Camaro Coupe, Sonic, Cruze, Volt and Traverse. The 2012 Malibu is also is a Top Safety Pick.
The Malibu Eco with fuel-saving eAssist technology is Chevrolet’s most fuel-efficient midsize car ever. It is on sale now in the United States with a base price including destination of $25,995, less than competitor full hybrid vehicles. Chevrolet is scheduled to roll out an all-new fuel-efficient 2.5L Ecotec engine on the full Malibu lineup this summer. A new turbo model will be available this fall.
If you would like to learn more about the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu, please feel free to contact us or just stop by our store and we will be happy to field any questions you might have.
Performance Chevrolet is proud to serve the auto dealership needs of cities such as Elizabeth City, Edenton, Hertford, Currituck, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Moyock, South Mills, Camden, Williamston, Ahoskie, Chesapeake, Columbia, Shiloh, Virginia Beach, Norfolk and counties that include Dare, Chowan, Perquimans and Pasquotank in North Carolina and Virginia. We provide exceptional customer service, a warm and friendly environment, auto financing options to fit your budget, and an inventory of great new and used cars, trucks, SUV’s and crossovers. Our ASE Certified Service Technicians at the Performance Chevrolet Service Center service and repair all makes and models both foreign and domestic. Call us at (252) 338-9100 or stop in at 1005 W. Ehringhaus St, Elizabeth City, NC, 27909 and check out our great GM inventory.
Follow us at: facebook.com/perryautogroup, twitter.com/perryauto, pinterest.com/perryautogroup
and on Google+